1. Prime BALB/c mice with 0.5 mL of Pristane injected i.p. prior to hybridoma cell injection.
2. 7 d after Pristane administration, inject i.p. 5 X 106 to 5 X 107 prewashed (twice in serum-free DMEM) hybridoma cells.
3. Check inoculated mice for abdominal distension every 3-5 d until the abdomen is filled completely with ascitic fluid (typically, 3-4 wk). Drain ascitic fluid from the abdomen using an 18-gage needle.
4. Clear ascitic fluids by centrifugation at 500g for 10 min; remove the yellowish layer of fat on the top of the ascitic fluid and clotted material from other areas of the tube.
5. Aspirate the supernatant, aliquot, and keep at -20°C until further analysis and MAb purification.
6. Collect the cell pellet and use it one or two times to induce ascites in the next group of Pristane-primed animals. Do not use ascitic cells more than twice.
7. In most labs, one mouse produces 5-10 mL of ascitic fluid containing 5-20 mg/mL of the MAb.
Was this article helpful?